World Hurdle Trends and PointersMarch 16th, 2016
The World Hurdle is a Grade 1 run on the New Course at Cheltenham over a distance of 3 miles.
Last year’s winner Cole Harden is expected to put up a strong defence of his crown against the a strong field which includes the likes of Cleeve Hurdle (Grade 2) winner Thistlecrack, John Mulhern Galmoy (Grade 2) Hurdle winner Alpha Des Beaux and the Paul Nicholls trained Saphir Du Rheu.
Using Proform, we analysed the stats every World Hurdle winner since 1997 to uncover the following race trends for this year’s renewal and pointers for every runner in the race:
- Ran at race distance of 24 furlongs (3 miles) in prior race, 9 of the last 18 renewals, 15% higher than expectation
- Horses with a “Held Up” running style are 11 from the last 18 renewals, 14% better than expectation
- 15 from the last 18 winners were aged 6,7 or 8
- 14 from the last 18 winners were first 4 in the betting
- 14 from the last 18 winners have no racecourse runs on the last month
- 16 from the last 18 winners were first three in the betting forecast last time out
- 12 from the last 18 winners ran at either Cheltenham, Newbury or Kempton last time out
- Irish Bred Horses are 4 from 106 runners, 36% below expectations
- Horses Aged 11 are 0 from 8 runners
Click this link to download the Proform pointers for each runner in the World Hurdle